PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should I take the longer runway
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2016, 20:19
FullWings

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting discussion.

I think one of the key points is the use of the word “safer”. Like others, I’m paid to manage a safe *and* efficient operation - complete safety would be to lock the hangar doors and throw away the key, so there has to be a compromise somewhere.

Compared with all the other dangers out there which need to be avoided, shunning runways that are demonstrably acceptable performance-wise gives such a minuscule improvement in overall safety that it’s debatable you could even calculate it. It’s almost the equivalent of a lucky rabbit’s foot or four-leafed clover in that you may feel much safer but the underlying reality is little changed.

Incorrect responses to windshear, GPWS, TCAS, UAS; the wrong flap setting, the wrong thrust reduction, the wrong MSA, the wrong runway. Not de-icing properly, not being proficient in unusual attitude recovery and so on... These are some of the biggies that can really spoil your day. Just thinking about the possibility of any of the above before you set off could increase “safety” by far more.