PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should I take the longer runway
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2016, 17:32
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perf A calculations assume an engine loss of thrust at V1-Vr. What are the chances? When did it last happen? I might discuss that the stopping case is more critical than the go case on a limiting runway, but I wonder if that is behind the question. To those who say the longer runway I ask if they have ever/never taken an intersection? Consider you are approaching the hold, 2 a/c at the holding point and an acceptable intersection coming up with a close slot and immediate takeoff possible. Performance already done: what would you do?
Now consider the landing options. If the longer runway is always your choice for takeoff, what about if there is a choice for landing? How many take the short taxi after landing option? Assuming all other things equal, i.e. acceptable performance.
It's not quite so basic as "do you feel lucky, punk, well do you?" It's a little more science, skill & judgement.
PENKO asks all the relevant questions. It would be an interesting question & dilemma on your command upgrade final line check. I wonder what the TRE would conclude?
However, as an escape clause; if the runway was contaminated or a significant tailwind, or windshear a possibility, or...or...then I'd think again.