PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LONDON CITY - 2
Thread: LONDON CITY - 2
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2016, 14:54
ELondonPax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Crossrail station at Woolwich is irrelevant for LCY passengers. That station is not in the same place as - and will not be connected to - the existing DLR or National Rail stations. That's because it was funded by Berkeley Homes, and is situated to serve their massive new housing blocks in Woolwich.
In terms of passive provision for a future Crossrail station at LCY, yes, I agree, the design includes passive provision for this. But when I say the ship has sailed, I meant in terms of funding and "political will" to build at LCY, that opportunity has gone. I just can't see it ever being built.
Why does "Britain plc" allow such an obvious opportunity to be missed? Because we have no political will to do it - successive governments have flogged off various bits of transport infrastructure (air and rail) to competing interests. I am not saying was wrong - but we are left with a system where there is no "governing hand" looking at the bigger picture, whether in terms of capacity (still no extra runway for London) or environmental impact.