PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DONCASTER SHEFFIELD
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2016, 10:54
LEEDS APPROACH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cumbrianboy
So you're happy for monarch to leave LBA? They are only there because the airport subsidised them. And jet2 had a lot of support when they started out. I'm sure BA are getting help to be at LBA as are BMI ... It happens everywhere. Even MAN support new carriers.

The only route in yorkshire that is being helped with public funds is LBA-NQY. all the rest is private money and private companies can soend their money as they see fit, there is no need or grounds for regulation, apart from the fact 'leeds approach' wants more aircraft to spot at LBA which isn't exactly a sound commercial driver for making decisions.

LA you need to accept LBA is not the epicentre of the world and that DSA has just as much claim to its market as LBA does to it's own.

Competition is good, the flybe services at DSA are new and it's a huge commitment. It's a well known fact amongst professionals that new airline routes take upto 3 years to reach profitable maturity, so the stats that come out in month one are meaningless, plus as ever, no one knows the yield.
YES - I want all routes in Yorkshire to be able to stand on their own two feet right from the off.

ok my friend. I have made it quite clear that LBA is completely unsuitable just as DSA is - so quite how I want to spot planes there I don't know. I would even suggest closing LBA in favour of DSA if DSA was in the ideal location - but it is not. It never will be. Competition at one well placed, accessible and full functioning airport is brilliant but dividing up a small catchment that already loses millions of passengers North, South and West will only lead to failure within Yorkshire. No other region pours money into the immediate neighbours pockets more than Yorkshire and Humberside. It's a very simple concept. I don't really enjoy arguing with plane spotters about this and the facts speak for themselves. There is a very good reason why EasyJet and Ryanair and Linksair failed at DSA and the BE service to Belfast stopped. Do stop going on about 'markets' too- it is population catchment, catchment wealth and propensity to fly that are important. I predict an intensifying 'bloodbath' for passengers in the next few years.