PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - St. Helena Service
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2016, 10:08
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The cliff rising up to the runway makes it look a great rotor generator; and no doubt there is always a good wind 'over the deck'. Pax loads and reserve fuel calculations might be interesting especially if you fancy 30 mins hold and 2 approaches.
From the photo it is not easy to see why there is a displaced threshold, or is it just a PCN thing. Meaning that the touchdown point leaves a lot of tarmac behind you. I remember a couple of decades ago a shorter BHX R33 & MAD RW32L and when clear visual it was not unheard of to touchdown just over the numbers. Then came OFDM and to avoid tea & biscuits it became necessary to effectively shorten the runway. Not too comfortable on a wet day or 5kts tailwind. But hey, it was a safety technological progress, right?
If the guys want some real practice before hand they could load up the a/c and try their hands at: Jersey, Inverness, I.O.M. Blackpool, Southampton, Southend. Who needs a sim when the real thing can do it better. You might have to sit around for a strong X-wind day, but hey, you can't have everything at once.
The decision making might be interesting. I wonder if companies will add a 'point of decision' in their planning? To continue or turn back or divert?