PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MD-80 loadsheet - Adjusted Weight Loading System.
Old 22nd Apr 2016, 07:52
john_tullamarine

Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts
The adjusted weight thing now makes a little more sense.

Recently, I came across an old (dating almost back to Pontius's days ..) tech paper presented by (I presume) the Boeing engineer who developed the system.

Apparently in the early second generation jet days, pre-electronic computer .. ie early 60s, some Boeing customer airlines were a bit anti-trim sheet style load systems and, while accepting that computers would do the day to day work in a few years to come, wanted a simple addition only style system in the meantime which combined all the bits (weight, CG, and stab trim calcs) in the one all singing all dancing technique. This then would allow them to do the load work on the turn around using traditional pencil and paper assisted by the old mechanical adding machine .. now, I remember those ... how many others here do ?

A chap named Saunders (the above engineer) came up with a concatenated system which, for the sake of some minor rubbery weight approximations, facilitated the requirement.

When I finish working through the technique (ie when I figure out just how it all works) and can relate it satisfactorily to the Boeing PPT link shown earlier, I'll come back with some explanation.

As nobbyknownowt suggested, the technique appears to have been intended as a (pre-computer) stopgap and probably has little relevance today other than as a curiosity .. albeit that some operators still hold to it as a procedural technique.