PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2016, 05:51
ricardian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was pleased to see this on the "Orkney Community News" page of Facebook yesterday:

Calling all young people of Orkney.
Are you interested in outdoors pursuits, shooting, flying & becoming a better, more confident person?
1769 Squadron Air Training Corps has just opened a detatched flight in Orkney.
More information can be found at facebook Orkney DF or by email from Squadron HQ at [email protected]
This reply was heartening:

I just have to comment here and say that as the mother of a son that spent his teenage years as an Air Cadet in Yeovil Somerset, I am thrilled that young people in Orkney can now have potentially, a similar opportunity/experience. My son joined at 13 as a cadet and worked his way up to Flight Sergeant by the time he was 16. Many of the activities were free, which allowed me, as a single Mum then, to access superb opportunities for my son. He learnt discipline, respect, self care, compassion, independence, leadership and endurance with the support of an amazing group of dedicated volunteers. He got to travel to Spain for his Gold D of E and got his glider pilots licence. Although he has not chosen to pursue a career in the armed forces, the skills he learnt with the Air Cadets has contributed to his ability to manage in the world. My son chose to travel and after a 6 month stint with TEFL in China he is still there after nearly 2 years, teaching English to young children. Good luck Air Cadets Orkney.
I would like to help but I live on Stronsay which is a 2 hour ferry journey away from mainland Orkney (and my age - 72 - would probably count against me!)