PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Possibility of F-22 production re-start?
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2016, 22:32
Channel 2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by APG63
I suspect Mach Two is correct about you vomiting quickly-ingested internet material. Had you bothered to read whatever source you selected for Sears-Haack before copying and pasting it here, you should have seen that it isn't relevant to transonic flight.
I hear what you're saying APG63. Unfortunately, it's complete tosh.

The question pertained to the .8 m to 1.2 m acceleration ability of the F-35. Here is a 'chosen for it's simplicity' paragraph. Do try to get through it.

"In aeronautics, transonic refers to the condition of flight in which a range of velocities of airflow exist surrounding and flowing past an air vehicle or an airfoil that are concurrently below, at, and above the speed of sound in the range of Mach 0.8 to 1.0, i.e. 965–1,236 km/h (600–768 mph) at sea level. This condition depends not only on the travel speed of the craft, but also on the temperature of the airflow in the vehicle's local environment. It is formally defined as the range of speeds between the critical Mach number, when some parts of the airflow over an air vehicle or airfoil are supersonic, and a higher speed, typically near Mach 1.2, when the vast majority of the airflow is supersonic. Between these speeds some of the airflow is supersonic, but a significant fraction is not."

Embarrassing, I know. But try and cobble up a reply and get back to me.

All my Best!

Last edited by Channel 2; 21st Apr 2016 at 22:51.