PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LONDON CITY - 2
Thread: LONDON CITY - 2
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2016, 21:29
Fairdealfrank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure if I am missing something, but the Silvertown/North Woolwich branch has long been dismantled - so there is nothing that could be reopenend or something that could be rebuilt. In fact, the branch has made way for the new Crossrail section to Abbey Wood. My understanding is that to allow future development, there is passive provision for an additional station on that Crossrail branch somewhere near, but slightly east to the former Silvertown station. It would not solve the issue of a location off the airport, but it really would not be that far away (200 metres ?). As a public transport option, it would be quite attractive as it would, unlike the DLR, give direct access to Central London. My understanding is that passengers from 2018 will be able to connect to Crossrail by hopping on the DLR at LCY and connect at Canary Wharf - not sure if that is the final nail in the coffin for any future development of a LCY crossrail station.
Not particularly helpful, especially when travelling with luggage. As mentioned previously, it a complete allergy to common sense. It's more stupid than one can imagine as the crossrail tunnel passes directly below the LCY terminal building.

Yes it's a pity that there wasn't a more cohesive policy regarding Crossrail - although Crossrail will link in to Woolwich which is 2 stops away on DLR. There is also a, rather underused, DLR station (King George V) one stop closer to Woolwich which has access to LCY - albeit blocked off at the moment...it would need a lift added to the northern side though in order to provide wheelchair etc access.
Again, it's an extra change and an extra dogleg on a journey. Why should one have to do all this nonsense when it should be possible to just take an escalator/lift/stairs between the terminal and station.

Why is the concept of an integrated transport so difficult to understand and implement?

I wonder if there are any plans to open it up should LCY gain permission to expand following the recent planning inquiry? 2 terminals at LCY? One at existing London City Airport DLR station and one at King George V station?
The DLR is not an issue at LCY, the station is very convenient. The lack of a future crossrail station is.