PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL theory questions
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2016, 18:29
Binners93

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Equation thats driving me insane!

Evening all,

I have begun my studies for the ATPLs with BGS and am going through their maths & physics premodule before starting with the official subjects. So far, I've recapped factors (HCF, LCM), long division and multiplication and shape properties without issue, but one question on formula rearranging is really getting me down because I just can't understand it!
The question is transpose y=7-2x to make x the subject - should be straightforward enough right?
As I understand, the first figure to the right of the = sign will be a positive unless otherwise indicated, so my first step would be to get rid of this (7-7 = 0). Doing the same to the other side, the first issue appears, is it y-7 or 7-y and why?
Secondly, Now being left with -2x is also confusing me. To balance this back to x, are we dividing by -2, resulting in (y-7 or 7-y)/-2 = x? The answer doesn't think so and neither do I, but not sure why
It's only this one question that seems to be catching me out so far and its driving me insane! Rearranging the C=(5(F-32))/9 formula to make F the subject was straightforward compared to this easy question!!?
Hoping not to fall at this first hurdle and that someone can assist in making me feel not quite so stupid!