PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B744 Autothrottle on Manual Landing
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2016, 15:22
BBK

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Calm down dear! (sorry English joke)

CF6 just to refresh your mind this is what I wrote originally. I thought it was polite enough.

"I think it's great that people can post questions and discuss the answers. I'm always ready to learn which is why I read this thread so nothing wrong with that.
However, your question was, in my humble opinion, not so much hypothetical but unrealistic. You may disagree but I'll explain my reasoning......

.....Hope that helps. "

I certainly don't intend to "police" this forum or any other and I'm at a loss why you think so as I only asked why your keen interest. Just idle curiosity. I assume, from what you have written, you are not flying the 744 so thought your comment about the "appalling" Boeing manuals a little odd. I reiterate that using FLCH on the final approach is not a good idea nor is losing control due to stalling on short finals.

Anyway, I consulted said manuals and found the following:

"The flare maneuver brings the airplane to a smooth automatic landing touchdown. The flare mode is not intended for single autopilot or flight director only operation.

Flare arms when LAND 3 or LAND 2 annunciates. At approximately 50 feet radio altitude, the autopilots start the flare maneuver. FLARE replaces the G/S pitch flight mode

During flare: • at 25 feet radio altitude, the autothrottle retards thrust levers to idle • IDLE replaces the SPD autothrottle flight mode annunciation • at touchdown, the FLARE annunciation no longer displays, and the nose lowers to the runway."

I still think manual flight and manual thrust works just fine as did my trainers some of whom have flown the 400 since the 90s.

BBK

Ps exception I've just remembered might be a Cat3A with a dual FMC failure.