PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter down at Shoreham
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2016, 14:57
Madbob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is my first post on this long-running thread....

Firstly, I think it would be prurient for the GoPro footage be released.

I still have images, nearly 30 years later, of the horrendous Frecce Tricolori crash at Ramstein and the crash of an Su-27 at an air show in Ukraine in 2002 when it crashed into the crowd and I do not need to see fresh film of another accident to allow my imagination to "see" what happened at Shoreham. What is more I know that if this film was released it would go viral straightaway and be across the internet for all to see......

No flight safety benefit is likely to come from that and I would far prefer to wait for an official report from the appropriate authorities, the CAA and AAIB. Those with other agendas, including journos, trolls and arm-chair experts will have to be patient; I am sure they will be able to rest assured in the certainty that personal-injury lawyers will be representing the families of the deceased (may the RIP) and those that were injured are already on to the case.

Andy Hill, like every other pilot I know, took off on that fateful day with every intention of going "home" after work. The same is true also for those that were killed and injured. It was not deliberate or planned and he came with a whisker of being killed himself - such is the nature with an accident - which is what this is. Sure there will be lessons to be learned but equally even criminals enjoy a presumption of innocence at law until after a Court judgement of guilty as charged....

Yes, I know, some totally innocent good people died as a result of this accident but sometimes $hit happens.....whether it be a Glasgow bin-lorry accident or the helicopter crash that killed other perfectly innocent people in the Clutha Vaults bar in 2013. All of this is tragic for the people affected but nothing we do in life is totally risk-free and it would be folly to think that more restrictions or bans will completely remove the risk of another accident. As things stand the odds against such an accident happening again I think are good enough for most people not to be deterred from going to an air show and for those living nearby not to start selling-up.

Finally, it would be considerate I think to spare a thought to what AH must be going through. Survivor's guilt can be hard to live with......and in saying that I would like to say I have no connection with AH or his family and have never met him.

MB