PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why are helis so expensive?
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2003, 22:42
RDRickster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

For example, it costs about $950 to have a 100-hour inspection performed on an R-22 for private owners where I live (don't know how much annuals cost). Same place charges $175/hr rental and $210/hr dual instruction. The "instrument" ship goes for $225/hr solo.

R-22 requires overhaul at 2200 hours or 12 years (whichever comes first). In the field (i.e. at service center), that will cost about $88K. At the factory, that will cost about $105K. It's actually better to get it done at factory, because you are getting a whole new ship (I think the airframe, avionics, and the seats are the only components not replaced and repainted).

Pathfinder insurance (takes care of most Robbie's) just sent notification through RHC that rates will increase by 50% for anyone who has an accident or incident after the 15th of July. If you were to take a $130,000 for R-22 and divide it by 2200 hours, it comes out to about $60 per hour. Obviously, there is a lot more costs involved besides the purchase price (interest paid on principle, fuel, fluids, scheduled maintenance, unscheduled maintenance, insurance, overhead such as hangar & airport fees). After all that, it doesn't leave much room for profit. Especially, when parts are expensive ($3000 bucks just to replace doors).

Having said all that, why do helicopters cost so much more?...

BECAUSE THEY ARE WORTH IT!

Flying fixed-wing is the most boring activity I've ever participated in (at least for single engine Cessna's, etc). Now, acrobatic aircraft or jets are entirely something different. But the average Cessna just doesn't do it for me. There's nothing like flying a helicopter and I'll never go back to fixed-wing...

Once you've become "one" with the "Heli-Force," you will learn that the "Flat-Side" is "evil." Fortunately, there is still time for you to turn from the Flat-Side to the Heli-Force, where you can experience true joy and freedom.