PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Aiming for 50% Gender Spilt in Interview Candidates
Old 21st Apr 2016, 02:36
das Uber Soldat

Received 127 Likes on 36 Posts
As you may have noticed, those who are protesting most are those who seem to be black and white thinkers, or deliberately misunderstand what is stated. They also engage in some of the classic 'errors of reason' i.e. the black and white thinking, straw man argument or begging the question. To those who use these arguments, and there are a few on this thread, have a read of this The Most Common Logical Fallacies to realise why your arguments are not nearly as effective as you think they are.
I'm dying for you to point out these 'logical fallacies' with actual examples.

Jetstar stating that they want more women at interviews does not necessarily mean they will choose women applicants over men, it may mean that they will make an effort to go into schools or advertise the career options in areas have not done so in the past, in a manner in which appeals to women rather than men.
Do you have any evidence for this?

In my years of professional aviation I have noticed that those who bitch the most at women being in their domain are those who bitch about everything being unfair on them (whilst not recognising that their failings are theirs alone, not the responsibility of others).
Cool story. Totally irrelevant to the thread but 10/10, would read again. I could care less how many women there are in aviation. My mother and my wife are both pilots. Its great. Both of them howeve believe in a meritocracy. Solving perceived discrimination with more discrimination is moronic and serves only to cast a shadow over those women who have achieved legitimately in the field with a suspicion that they simply got their job because of their gender. That is doing a true disservice to women.

It is valid to say that a woman should not get a job just because of her gender (Ya think!), but it is equally valid that girls have been discouraged from higher paying aviation jobs by society for many years and something needs to be done to even up the balance. It is a worry that children still seem surprised when they meet a female pilot - this means the conditioning starts early.
Just as children are surprised when they meet a male nurse. Damn evil society.
But this, this is the part I liked the most.

Originally Posted by Smash
So how about you just take your Uncle Maths and your perceived victimisation and instead set about being a very good pilot and one with good interpersonal skills to boot which will make any quota or policy irrelevant anyway - you'll surely make it through any selection process on those grounds alone.
Brilliant. Get lost maths! With your stupid provable, logical facts. Sure, you may have demonstrated that in a quota situation, a much better applicant could be discarded for a much worse one, But Smash has shown this to be false because if you're just 'really good', the quota will suddenly cease to exist! HR will be so blown away by your amazingness that they'll discard their hiring practices and shoot you straight to the top! CEO! Why didn't we think of this before?!

So, relax everyone, Smash has got it figured out.

Last edited by das Uber Soldat; 21st Apr 2016 at 02:51.