PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Gan 1958 and Later
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2016, 15:52
uffington sb

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Danny,

I can't recall any land crabs, but there were fairly large lizards with none to keen eyesight. If you saw one running towards you, you did a quick sidestep other wise they'd end up in your shorts.
Although I was the flight planning clerk working the usual Monday to Saturday routine, I filled in for the tower guys when they were sick or on leave.
At night there was just one assistant on duty, and we would adopt a relaxed posture on the camp bed and turn the lights out. After a few minutes you could hear the rustling noise of the critters. On with the lights and whack whack whack with a rolled up newspaper. We used to keep a score of how many we got!!
We would get a Springbok call up every night bound (I think for HKG) Springbok 247 and 248 on the way back.
One night some jolly japer called up hours out while I was still alone, with one of those ghostly laughing recordings. I nearly cr*pped myself.
Funny thing was, I got so used to the 10 taking off at 04:00 I would sleep through it, but wake up if it didn't come in.

Last edited by uffington sb; 20th Apr 2016 at 18:03.