PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Met Office Aviation Access
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2016, 11:44
JOE-FBS

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
As a serial complainer to the Met office about this new site, a couple of months ago they invited me to spend an hour plus on the telephone with one of their app developers. In answer to the question above, he said that the system change was necessary to interface with their other systems. He had no explanation as to why the old display format that worked very well on all platforms, including mobile telephones on poor connections, has to be replaced with a prettier but less functional display format which requires as far as I can see a better connection to work. He was it seemed to me bemused by the idea that one is not always viewing this data on 4G or at home. When I explained that they didn't need by default to supply the decodes because we are all trained to read the abbreviated form he was clearly surprised. It seemed he had the idea that the system was for viewing by the general public. So full marks to Met Office for taking an interest in my feedback but zero for how they briefed the developer. Anyway for what it is worth I think the new system is still unfit.