PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA staff walkout @ LHR
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2003, 19:22
WeatherJinx
Bringer of Wx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

I would tend to agree with Kaptin M's comments. To the poster that said that unnanounced action was out of date, you were probably right 20 years ago (no one in their right mind would want a return to the 70's), but consider the bigger picture nowadays:

Business, spearheaded by the large multinationals and in passive collusion with various governments, has in recent years tended to view its employees increasingly as profit centres in themselves. Senior management exploitation tactics can (and frequently do include):

Erosion of or simply theft from pension funds

Shrinking salaries

Worsening working conditions

Increased hours

Bullying attitudes

Outsourcing/globalising
(which never benefits employees, only ever top management and shareholders)

Whilst harsh on the affected passengers this weekend, I think this action is indicative of the pendulum beginning to have swung too far the other way. When people can take no more, or feel that they are powerless in any negotiations, they only have one weapon of last resort - the inalienable right of withdrawal of labour.

Perhaps, as another poster put it, this is capitalism, but in my view, capitalism can only be sustainable when all parties benefit.

When the free market system starts to fail the majority of participants (as it appears to be beginning to do), maybe it's time for a restoration of more equitably balanced industrial relations, and an end to unbridled Fat Cat-ism?

Perhaps the world needs a few less beancounters and a few more visionary employers, who carry their staff with them and are not just pandering to equity holders?

Jx