PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter down at Shoreham
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2016, 01:04
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pittsextra
Not to me it isn't, and given you (nor indeed nobody else previously heckling) have not offered further insight perhaps it isn't that straight-forward.

There were two Go-Pro cameras that filmed the accident (in fact they continue to film post accident) the footage of which has long been seen by the AAIB but according to reports (such as the BBC link below) following the coroner pre-inquest review, such footage is subject to restricted access.

Why is that?

Shoreham crash: Police go to High Court to see evidence - BBC News

Because that is the law. (See below.)
It is summarised in the first three paragraphs of BBC News report - which you originally linked in post 847 more than two weeks ago.
You quoted an extract from the opening paragraphs and then said:
It is my personal view that filming with a Go-Pro is not done for flight safety and so the various arguments that relate to other recorded aircraft safety media do not apply.
If you had said "should not" then that would have been an opinion with which some might agree and others would not.
Your error lies in "do not".

Whether or not you agree with the relevant law (I do), the AAIB will not and can not disclose unless ordered to do so by a court which has the power to order disclosure.
The law also specifies the conflicting/competing considerations which a Judge must take into account in all such applications before deciding whether or not it is appropriate to order the AAIB to disclose any or all material sought.

Similar restrictions apply in all jurisdictions throughout the developed world. The terminology and procedure vary but the principle remains the same, as does the underlying flight safety reason for the restrictions.

If you genuinely wish to learn more about why there are such restrictions then I recommend that you start with:
  • The Convention on International Civil Aviation. In particular, Annex 13. The Convention has been amended several times since it was adopted in Chicago in December 1944 so you'd need to read the most recent version.
  • The Civil Aviation (Investigation of Air Accidents and Incidents) Regulations 1996.
  • EU Regulation 996/2010 'Investigation and Prevention of Accidents and Incidents in Civil Aviation'.

Some of the comments you made in a later post (878) further confirm a lack of understanding in this area. I tried to explain to you several times in the other Hunter thread but eventually gave up.
I say "genuinely wish to learn" because, unless you are able to put aside your preconceived notions, then reading the documents I've referenced will probably be a waste of time.

You may find that PPRuNers are more likely to take the time to respond to you if you don't accuse those with whom you disagree of "heckling".

Last edited by Flying Lawyer; 20th Apr 2016 at 12:44.