PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Aiming for 50% Gender Spilt in Interview Candidates
Old 19th Apr 2016, 17:52
oicur12.again

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
“No, I don't. Considering they've literally said its their stated policy objective.”

Please point me in the direction where JQ state that quotas are their policy objective. Your evidence thus far does not carry water.

"Incentives and quotas have helped reverse this situation,"

“Those are statements of action. Support of quotas etc.”

Commenting on past practices in other locations does not imply support for such practices in this industry for now or the future. Why on earth would JQ publicly ANNUNCIATE a policy that is ILLEGAL?

More importantly, JQ is motivated by dollars; in this case, making sure that there is a plentiful supply of pilot applicants in the future. A quota DOES NOT solve this problem for JQ at all.

Simply forcing a woman into a job in preference to a man does not solve future crewing needs for an airline.

People are not learning to fly in anything even close to the numbers they once did and JQ is simply providing a framework to figure out why it is that only 5% of pilot applicants are female.

Also, by fostering an industry that does not attract applicants from almost HALF of society’s members is also effectively providing a preferential treatment to MEN. It makes it much easier to get an airline job when HALF of your potential competitors don’t even apply.

“So are you advocating quotas or not?”

Do you approach everything in life with such a black and white view? No, in the case of airline pilots, no I don’t. I have not even suggested that I do.

As I have said before, quotas are not legal in the private sector and in an airlines case not even beneficial.

Last edited by oicur12.again; 19th Apr 2016 at 23:42. Reason: spelling error