PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BEA Trident London - Moscow 1971
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2016, 13:14
blind pew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Bill I see that you ignore the facts of the appalling accident rate in BEA during the 60s and 70s until BOAC effectively took over the training and revert to judgement (chip!) and talking down by quoting Latin.
After the fiasco of the Staines inquiry I borrowed six months salary to obtain an instructors license as well as joining the BALPA technical committee because I thought I could make a difference to the dinosaurs.
I didn't have anything to get over as I didn't condone the pack of lies told to the inquiry.

As one of our colleagues on Icarus wrote "when did an inquiry ever publish the truth" or words to that effect. Purely about protecting the establishment.

I left to what in effect was the BOAC operation on the VC 10 and when that was supposedly being retired I quit rather than rejoin the Trident fleet and all of the petty mindedness.

My only regret was not going up to the highland and island division where the operation needed captains who could fly and didn't rely on the copilots positioning the aircraft so that they could land.

As you know BEA management and training took all of the cream and easy trips because they needed to and the great tradition continues today. Pity they didn't recruit trainers on ability - it might have saved 7 of the 8 aircraft loses in my six years flying for the Hounslow flying club.