PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Watch out for AMSA advice – you could die!
Old 19th Apr 2016, 13:01
Old Akro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep, that's fine but as stated before, it could take a week to search the northern end of a salt lake
I used to fly over Lake Torrens monthly, but frankly its not as remote as you imagine. Someone from Andamooka or Leigh Creek or one of the adjoining stations or mines won't take long. And you might be surprised at the number of vehicles that drive the perimeter. There are many other places that bother me more and some are a lot closer to home.

But, the point is that if something goes wrong you want everything going for you. We just installed a 406 MHz ELT despite it no longer being required. Plus I carry a PLB plus I would transmit on Area & 121.5 and these days the humble mobile phone might be best.

The point of this and the previous Boyd Munro thread is to highlight the sense of LISTENING (not talking) on 121.5. Over the years I've responded to a couple of requests on 121.5. Usually ATC looking for someone (an airline on at least one occasion) who is in one of our many VHF blackspots.

Australia is not very good at encouraging listening watch on 121.5 and we are one of the few countries where it is not monitored by ATC. But, somewhere remote, being picked up by an overhead airline might be more reliable than ATC.

This thread was initiated by Dick Smith highlighting the craziness of AMSA focusing on the area frequency for emergency response.