PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Aiming for 50% Gender Spilt in Interview Candidates
Old 19th Apr 2016, 09:33
das Uber Soldat

Received 127 Likes on 36 Posts
“incentives and quotas have helped reverse this situation”.

It’s interesting how we all take away a different message from the same quote.

Yes they have helped, however I suspect the intent behind the comment was one of historical reflection as apposed to policy objective, don’t you?
No, I don't. Considering they've literally said its their stated policy objective.

As I said before, quotas ARE NOT LEGAL in the private sector in Australia and QF/JQ know that to apply one would be instant trouble.
Refer morno

This is an industry dragged down by conservative grumpy old white men with little ability to adapt to change and I for one would love to see the power balance change. Hell, if Jetstar want to apply a quota to get more . . . . .. martians into the job then lets give it a try.
So are you advocating quotas or not? If so, explain to me how you go about implementing them without also implementing a program of discrimination.

“If I were a minority (sex/ethnic or other)”

Which sex in Australia is considered a minority? Its not uncommon during this debate to hear women (accidently) referred to as a minority. With such a
mindset, it’s no wonder that in 2016 we still have only 5% in the cockpit.
Oh grow up would you. As Keg corrected you, Women are a minority (by your own admission no less) in the context of applications for airline positions. Just as men are a minority in Nursing. Its a fact, not a condemnation of the capabilities of women.

“A quota system is not a fair system”
And the vast majority of women want the job based upon their individual merit, not as a result of legislation.
Good.

Which is why there are not nor will be any pilots allocated jobs via quota.
Another wild assertion from someone clearly fond of them (I did enjoy you single-handedly resolving the nature vs nurture debate that's raged for 200 years earlier in the thread)
Jet* say they're 'working hard' on this program. Explain to me what they're doing? Considering I've mathematically demonstrated its impossible to get a 50/50 split on merit when there is a variance in applications (a vast variance in fact). What is it exactly that they're doing to achieve this stated goal? How are the getting more women to the interview and shortlist stage?