PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 18th Apr 2016, 18:43
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Gentlemen,

Now, having woken me up I wonder if anyone (Dougie) can tell me if the Loran Nav system was ever really used by Navigators in a serious way, or whether it was more something to keep the GE away from the bar ? From memory, we had a Doppler, Loran and the Omega fitted as standard in the days when Dougie and myself visited the antipodes 8 October 1994 and beyond. I always had the impression that Loran was a hangover from the days of sails and rigging, especially with those whacky charts etc. Many a Nav snagged Loran during my time as a GE, yet we never got lost as a result of its failure. I especially remember a four hour stint at Gatow replacing boxes and trying to ascertain the serviceability of the system, what a bloody waste, Mon Cheri beckoned !!!!! I would be the first to suggest that the quality of our Navigators far outweighed the need for Loran, but did I need those hours at the airfield fixing it ? I doubt I ever actually fixed one anyway.

Meanwhile, on a trip mid way between ASI and MPA our Captain ;

Was celebrating his Birthday. Note the Birthday cards on the coaming. Loran must certainly have been used for those long overwater legs from back them ?

Last edited by smujsmith; 18th Apr 2016 at 18:53.