PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing Brilliance - Sometimes I am just amazed that Airbus is even in existence
Old 20th Jul 2003, 09:03
PlaneTruth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AhhhVC813,

Well, not quite ALL of us.

My carrier still insists on no vertical nav activation in order to keep us in the loop and monitoring descent profiles/ situational awareness, etc. While we do fly the plane directionally via LNAV, climb and descent are handflown (pitch portion).

I regularly fly HUD handflown CAT III approaches to 50 foot minimums and 300 RVR in the winter. Takeoffs at 50 RVR are similarly handflown to 1200 AGL.

I will grant you this: NONE of the 737 aircraft hand fly as well as the old -200 advanced. From the minute Approach says, "Cleared for the visual approach (followed by the loud "click" of the autopilot disengaging --Whoo Hoo!) none of the series hand flies as sweet as the old bird. The control harmony is excellent and the feedback is near perfect. The 300 on final has all the feel of a dumptruck and the 700 is not much better. You almost can't screw up a 200 landing. The 90% of the flight to final gets kind of old without power and all the other conveniences one gets used to.

Ahh, the old days. My missus says I ought to leave it at that.

PT