PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter down at Shoreham
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2016, 20:25
D SQDRN 97th IOTC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At some point, CAA may review its policy of requiring active seats for some ex mil jets. It has already decided they can be de-activated for some types.
In civilian hands, my view is they are as likely to cause serious harm as they are to save life. Civilian pilots are also less likely to encounter the same military scenarios requiring ejection - hit my missile for example. However, close formation flying is an example where having a live seat may be of benefit.
Seat design has moved on over the years. The Martin Baker seat in the hunter was called a bang seat. Spinal compression could be expected in a young fit pilot following ejection. Are there any medics out there with a view on what might be the result on the spine of a mid 50s pilot following ejection?
Compare the very upright design of the early Martin Bakers with the more relaxed seats of the harriers in their last variant, with rocket packs.....
there are plenty of very capable civilian aircraft without ejection seat capabilities.
For me it is safer to fly some if these jets with the seats decommissioned.
Arguments over whether the cartridges in question were or were not installed with the knowledge and / or the permission / non objection from the CAA do not advance the discussion of what caused this tragic accident.