PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 17th Apr 2016, 19:55
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coff,

Thanks for your concern sir, there's life in the old dog yet (as they bark) ! Been a bit diverted with a few probs recently, but not related to this thread. AA62, apologise for failing to answer, same probs I'm afraid, though Fergineer has covered it nicely, thanks Fergi ! I hope all you regulars are in good form, from recent posts it seems there's still some areas to be discussed. I have a question for those who go back, way back on the K fleet. I well remember at Colerne 1971/73 working alongside Marshalls of Cambridge blokes, who seemed to be doing all the structural repair work as we carried out the Base 3 servicings. As I ended my time with Albert, Marshalls featured heavily in our pushing Albert through minor servicings in AES (Imagine, my first job in the RAF was a brand new, ex Halton appo on Albert, my last, the team chief doing the same work). I'm sure that all of us involved with Albert were also aware of the input of the Marshalls chaps. Anyone know why Marshalls got so involved, and, any interesting stories ? Here's a start. They had a guy at Colerne circa 1972 called Dave Stern, he was a big lad, very big. His huge beard, beer belly and sockless sandals meant he was automatically labelled the "Jesus freak". To my knowledge he never had a religious bone in his body, the beard coming from having served with the RN. He spent most of the daylight hours sleeping in our tool stores, thus enabling him to take his place on the night shift (as overtime) and seemed happy in his work. I know the Marshalls lads did some great work to keep Albert going, and their efforts should be acknowledged in the long story in RAF service. I declare no conflict of interest with MOC, they never paid me a penny !

Smudge