PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Aiming for 50% Gender Spilt in Interview Candidates
Old 17th Apr 2016, 12:35
RENURPP

Received 33 Likes on 8 Posts
Unfortunately quotas are not new.
Pre- 2000 I was instructed by senior management to find females (jet jobs), as the company didn't have any applications from females on file.
I phoned around and found a few. They were not required to attend an interview, they were invited to have a quick phone conversation outlining the companies training program. They had jobs because of their genda, nothing else.

I haven't personally met all the ladies involved however anecdotally some of them were consider to be quite good.

Were they better pilots than the male candidates out there? Who knows.

The system sucks and I'm glad to be getting closer to leaving the industry. Unfortunately it's not only the way we employ females, it goes further to training, checking and all levels of management. The best people rarely are offered positions as they threaten the incumbents. The modern HR created the mess and they are incapable of understanding the problems.

I recall as a chief pilot in GA a young female pilot coming in for an interview at her request. ( we had no jobs available) she didn't wear a bra and had her shirt only buttoned up to about 3 buttons from the top. She consistently leant over my desk ensuring I could see all that was on offer and I'm pretty sure it was. There was still no job available at the end of the interview. She's probably an A380 captain today?

I have two daughters and I hope to god they have no interest in this industry!

Last edited by RENURPP; 17th Apr 2016 at 22:34.