PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots' fatigue investigation
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2016, 12:05
bafanguy

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
glofish et al,

Just a bit against my better judgement, I'll add one additional thought...OK, maybe a few additional thoughts.

In the US, we, as airline pilots represented by a union, have seen this idea of appealing to the public (expecting positive, tangible results) put forth many times...and it's been done many times.

From watching this for ~ 4 decades, I've come to this conclusion: the public doesn't give so much as a rat's secondary orifice about airline pilots and their issues...none of their issues! You can talk safety if you wish but they don't believe for one nanosecond that THEY will be personally, individually affected by something like fatigued pilots...they just don't believe it. I'll avoid going off into the weeds postulating about why that is.

[I walked the picket line with the EAL pilots as they circled the drain...a VERY educating experience. We were invisible to John Q.]

The only thing the public are even LESS motivated about is appealing to their elected representatives...on behalf of airline pilots.

And since elected officials are arguably complicit in the effects of their appointees' actions (I suppose that point could be debated), they're unlikely very motivated to admit even being at secondhand fault. And if they should rarely, actually pretend to do something to fix the situation, it's likely to be little more than cosmetic...or maybe even make it worse.

Just some thoughts...that's all. I'M ON YOUR SIDE IN THIS. Good luck...your options are limited.