PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What level of airline employee chooses registrations?
Old 17th Apr 2016, 11:31
Planemike

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wiggy
With my very ex-spotters hat on a question - I always got the impression that for years the reg's on the British register were always issued strictly in a sequence and that the out of sequence tailored regs only started with G-BSST. I did the bulk of my spotting in the 60's/early 70's and don't recall any funnies before Concorde came along. Did I simply lead a sheltered youth or did Concorde start the rot......

Back in those days they were something of "one off" but go back way beyond Concorde. G-EDCA was allocated in December 1927 to a deH 60 Genet Moth. The normal sequence at the time was in the range G-EBAA - BZZ. The same marks were re-allocated to a deH 60X Moth. Even today re-allocation of marks in not generally permitted and there are very few examples on the UK register.

In more modern times (1957) G-ATEL was allocated to the Aviation Traders Accountant (ah, just seen it above!!). In 1950 Auster 5J G-AHHE was reregistered G-AERO. G-AFLT was reallocated to a Miles Gemini. Somebody at "Flight" must have had some influence with the ARB.

The issuing of the marks G-ARJB was anticipated and just happened to be allocated to a deH 104 Dove owned by R J Bamford, he of JCB fame.

There are quite a few other examples before the practice become common place.

Last edited by Planemike; 17th Apr 2016 at 12:11.