PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Aiming for 50% Gender Spilt in Interview Candidates
Old 17th Apr 2016, 09:28
das Uber Soldat

Received 127 Likes on 36 Posts
“Hmmmm, not exactly how it reads in the article by my interpretation.”

A policy aim of interviewing candidates and short listing for jobs does in no way imply that “a male will be overlooked despite being more suitable for the job”.

You may read it that way but it is not the intent and would be considered illegal.

“To keep the dream alive, that means fifty of those pilots will have to be female.”

No, that is NOT how it will work. As beer baron has explained, airlines are still free to pick the best candidate for the job.

Guys, don’t panic, you still hold 95% of the positions in a world where half the people are women.
oicur12.again is offline Report Post
Sorry mate but I don't follow;

The interview stage of the recruitment process isn't stage 1. Candidates have already often gone through multiple levels of selection to get there. Initially the CV is assessed for experience and qualifications, then there may be psychometric testing and personality testing.

If you stipulate that 50% of interviewees must be female, then you absolutely are affecting the selection process, discarding people who may be more qualified.

But don't take my word for it, lets ask Uncle Math!

Assume 30% of applicants are female and we want to interview 50 people.

We get 100 applications. 70 men, 30 women. Lets assume (rightly of course), than women are just as capable as men. So experience, testing results are consistent across the groups.

Of the 100 applications, we select 50 for an interview. If taken in the correct ratio, representing the top results from both groups, that would give you 35 men, and 15 women.

But wait a minute, that doesn't meet our targeted ratio! What do we do? The only thing we can do. Discard the bottom 10 men who scored above standard, and include 10 women who scored below it. Now we have 25 male and 25 female candidates. Success right?!

Do you understand now how this policy reduces the overall quality of applicants and discriminates by gender? And 30% is a very generous figure for female applicants. The real number is more like 10%.

But you know, math is hard.

Speaking of, clue me in on how men hold 95% of the jobs in the world? Do you have a source for this statistic?