PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B-738 Crash in Russia Rostov-on-Don
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2016, 16:41
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive been reflecting on the build up to this. There is now discussion about the atmosphere, mental attitude the crew and perhaps tiredness. People have mentioned they had lots of fuel hence the hold. There is also speculation about communications back to mission control about Plan B. People suggest that 2 hours gives lots of thinking time for Plan B & C. However, sending yourself dizzy for 2 hours is not a conducive to clear positive thinking. I can imagine it can be quite the opposite. It allows time for grave doubts, even fear, anger, frustration to subtly creep into your psyche. That is why I'd like a detailed listen into the CVR.
The longest I've held was 1 hour. During that time we worked out 3 options in order of chance of success. We set a time limit to decide and asked Ops what their priorities were if not landing at destination, having told them the alternative options which we had decided upon. (no point is asking them to decide in the comfort of their control room). Once that was decided we had clear thinking and executed the plan. The thought of dithering in never ending circles for 2 hours in the middle of the night would drive me mental. I'm not so sure they would have been in sharp condition on the 2nd approach. Given they made a GA so early it seems they might have been nervous and not confident they were going to succeed . Not a good mental state to be in. I wonder what led them to decide on that 2nd approach.
This does not explain the apparent mis-handling of the manoeuvre, but I feel the effect of 2 hour holding has been glossed over to glibly.