PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Aiming for 50% Gender Spilt in Interview Candidates
Old 16th Apr 2016, 05:08
neville_nobody

Received 138 Likes on 63 Posts
It is not unusual in a corporate world to say that "Across all the jobs we advertise this year we want to aim to see a 50/50 male to female ratio". And in general, if you aren't being discriminatory, it SHOULD balance out.
Except that isn't how it reads. It would appear that if they have 100 pilots to interview then if 50 of them are not women they have to send a 'please explain' to head office. Then depending on how it rolls from there is what will make it interesting. If it's just a token effort and a PR stunt then fair enough noone is really affected.

However if there is downward pressure from the top to actually start actively pursuing departments who can't meet the quota, then I think it's a bridge to far.

If Jetstar REALLY want more girls in aviation then they have to start at a grass roots level, by encouraging them at school age to be interested in it and offering scholarships and free flying training. I guess similar with what the AFL do with their kids programs. Unfortunately in aviation it is not a matter of just qualifying, you then have 5+ years of hard slog meager salart before you even get an interview with Jetstar with basically zero work/life balance.

I think this aspect is going to be the hardest sell to any woman especially in a male dominated industry. I have seen it in the past, girls who were otherwise quite competent who either just didn't want it badly enough, or couldn't hack the whole GA scene, and the negative effect it has on your life as whole. And in all honesty that's probably fair enough too.

However this kind of arbitrary recruiting won't fix that problem.