PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B-738 Crash in Russia Rostov-on-Don
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2016, 04:55
Phileas Fogg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quite right ...

The industry has become run by bean-counting accountants, no matter what the profit margin they want more and more, many shall never be satisfied.

I worked for one particular operator, the commission-salaried commercial manager would receive a sub-charter enquiry, he would come to me/us asking if we had a crew, the reply would be as big a "NO" and it would be possible to give and still he would sell the flight, he thought it was funny, putting the pressure upon us, and the goodwill of the crews, to work their days off on the promise that we'd give them their day off back the next week until the @sshole would sell another sub-charter etc. ... Somewhat fortunately the CAA withdrew that operator's AOC before they actually killed somebody although they did try with the Leeds United FC team!

Another operator I worked for, and somewhat fortunately my Company President was checked out as a Captain although, the joke was, I referred to him as a penguin, i.e. "The fokker's got wings but he won't fly"! On one two aircraft operation I told him we needed 7 or 8 crews to operate it, he decided that 7 or 8 meant 5 until he found himself in some less than desirable hotel in Bombay ... He never disagreed with my crewing numbers again

As much as I may disagree with pilots's managing office departments they did a darn sight better job that what the industry has now, call centre mentality muppets wearing brightly coloured tee shirts calling everybody sir whilst serving about as much purpose as a chocolate teapot!