PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2016, 21:55
HP90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As an avid home simulation fan myself, I have something to add to this discussion:

The idea of using fixed screens for flight simulator displays is fast becoming old fashioned, the future is in Virtual Reality goggles.

Without wanting to geek anyone out - essentially they feature a screen that you mount to your head, which fills your entire peripheral vision with the simulated scene. The headset tracks the movement of your head in 360 degrees and moves the view in the simulator accordingly - so real head movement will mirror the simulator head movement, giving you the ability to practice good lookout.

The goggles present two different views to each eye, with one offset slightly from the other, in order to give true 3D vision, which gives the critical aspect of depth perception, important for judging height on round-out, etc.

Everyone I know who has tried it say that the feeling of immersion is fantastic, and that you feel like you’re really sitting in the cockpit.

Compatible with all major consumer sims, including FSX (and its modern successor, Prepar3D by Lockheed Martin) a VR goggle flight-sim system can be purchased for around £2,500 all in.

In future, low-cost motion platforms will also be available, which, when coupled with the fact that VR goggles fill your entire peripheral vision, will trick the brain into believing that the motion is real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSWGAmBLOys

While the PTTs will be useful for practicing procedural drills, VR goggle-based sims would be useful for practicing visual circuits, developing good lookout, etc.

I had more than one instructor ask me upon landing whether I had any home simulation experience, and when I replied in the affirmative, they said it showed in my flying.

One instructor summed it up well – simulation teaches you to recognise what a “good picture” should look like, thus allowing you to, for example, judge whether your approach is too high or too shallow, and adjust accordingly.

A simulation company called Iris Simulations (owned by an ex-cadet) has already developed a fantastic Tutor, and are working on a Viking.

The technology that is out there right now really is going to blur the lines between low-cost desktop simulation, and high-end full motion dome simulators.

Last edited by HP90; 15th Apr 2016 at 23:16.