PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PhD graduate in Aerospace Engineering looking for advice on CV building for MPLs
Old 15th Apr 2016, 20:51
LocaliserIsAlive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Class 1 first

Pal,

Get a class 1 medical - you'll spare yourself false hopes and lots of cash if you fail.

If you pass (I hope you do), from my experience, success lies on the same fundamentals that got you to be a PhD in one of the world's best Uni and investment banking work experience. Do your home work, stay passionate focused and humble, network.

As to the best route, if I was smart and young, I'd favour the AB initio route. You know your are going to fly and you will not pay for it.
Else get into a school with a deal with an airline. It is a great time to want to become a pilot.
The fly your savings, earn a bit and build-up time will get you there, but in Europe, it is a long and uncertain way to get to FL280 and you'll always feel you never have enough money.

If I had a bit of cash, I would spend a bit of it flying on a 172 - just because I love being in the air - may be in a low cost flying place (the US).

If I had a bit of time, I would take my PPL theory - it covers a lot of fundamentals you'll need when you'll fly a 200'000 lbs MTOM aircraft at Mach .80. I would love learning about my trade.

Last but not least, I would take advice and posts from forums with a pich of salt. Most of the material comes from APTL(f) whom have been looking for their first right seats for lots of very long months, only know the route they have taken and need to vent-out some frustration. (I do lots of sport to deal with the last bit, it is more effective).