PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Aiming for 50% Gender Spilt in Interview Candidates
Old 15th Apr 2016, 20:45
WannaBeBiggles

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've actually had this discussion with a bunch of female pilots not long ago. There are plenty out there that will us their gender and/or looks to get ahead while others just want to work hard and get there on their own merits.

Such policies while at face value seem like a great way to integrate the sexes, they also have the effect of people just assuming any female got the job because of her gender when she may have worked really hard and have been the most competitive candidate on the day regardless of gender.

I'm all for encouraging more females to the industry, I've worked with many and the majority of them are great operators. Some had issues with life out remote or with brash management styles of many of the owners out there, though the same can be said for their male counterparts.

Reverse discrimination does nothing to empower a given race, creed or gender.

Imagine how you'd feel if you run a race, come in 1st and the person that came in 4th also got a gold medal because they were also of the same race/gender/creed than you and you were seen as being from a race/gender/creed that "needed help".