PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2016, 16:07
CoffmanStarter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Given, again, the continued public reference to the use of 'Simulators' by the Minister for 'Glider Training' ... The comments made by Airbus38 and BEagle at Posts 1923, 1976 and 1986 remain entirely apposite.

I was recently PM'd with the following information ...

The 2 FTS ‘PTT – Operations and Training Manual’ confirms that (direct quotes):

“This device does not meet the MAA specifications to be designated as a simulator”

And ...

“Due to the lack of feedback on the controls, not all elements of the syllabus can be demonstrated and practiced”
My Bold

So out of curiosity, more than anything, I looked up the MAA Regulations (available on-line and in the Public Domain) fully expecting to see how the MAA 'Define and Specify' Flight Simulators for use by the UK Military ... Here is what I found ...

MAA : RA 2375 Approval and Use of Flight Simulator Training Devices

I have also included two screen grabs to preserve the present information.

Image Credit : MAA Public Document RA 2375

Contrast this with the EASA 'Certification Specifications for Aeroplane Flight Simulation Training Devices' and the MAA Regulatory Article begins to look a little 'thin'. Whilst I'm not readily conversant with modern day terminology such as ADH or AM(MF), it still seems a bit perplexing for the MAA to 'Devolve' a responsibility to 'Approve FSTD's' without first fully Defining and Specifying what a FSTD is or isn't ... after all the MAA published mandate on RA's is ...

The purpose of Regulatory Articles (RA) is to provide the framework of policy, rules, directives, standards, processes and the associated direction, advice and guidance, which governs military aviation activity and against which air safety is assessed.

Now see EASA Example ...

Certification Specifications for Aeroplane Flight Simulation Training Devices

Page 5 of the above document helpfully describes the various sub-categories of Civilian FSTD's.

Some might think I'm being pedantic ... But without a clear Definition and Specification by the MAA on FSTD's there is a clear anomaly between MAA RA 2375 and the 2FTS PTT OTM ... and without a MAA FSTD Definition who decides on 'what' elements can be taught ?

In closing ... have a look at this video of the Vigilant PTT at Topcliffe. To be clear ... I'm not making any criticism of the Instructing Staff ... My specific point relates the the availability of the completely unnatural 'Slew View' Function to view the deployed spoilers ... As a minimum this function IMHO should be inhibited as in real life you turn your head. Keeping your head 'Looking Out' is the Airmanship point ... relying on the slewing of views could well induce bad and dangerous habits. I assume the Viking PTT has the same 'Slew View' Function.

Vigilant PTT : Slew View : Potentially Bad Habit Forming

Happy to stand corrected/respond to further comments.