PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA drops touchdown autorotations from FI tests
Old 15th Apr 2016, 15:48
Reely340

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Stop bitchin' this is only an appropriate conclusion from learning that even police CPLs doing NVG flights fail to autorotate properly, let alone to the ground.
I predict this: "in unanimous agreement with major helicopter and turbine industry experts the FAA will mandate triple engined helos as the minimum for passenger flight and twins as minimum for long lining and high tension line washing, as computer simulation has show that these setups will make total engine failures even less probable..." the rest of the statement, speaking of fuel management guidelines will not be heard anymore due to the noise of champagne corks popping at the table of the nearby industry experts...

*sheesh* I'm becoming increasingly proud of actually having done an unplanned auto rotation to the ground during inital training.
As current insurance policies waive liability if the renter of a helo does practize emergency ops and examiners happily declare auto rotations till 10ft as "perfect, we'd have waked away from this one, you pass" it might have been the only one to the ground I'll ever have done.