PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B-738 Crash in Russia Rostov-on-Don
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2016, 09:01
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Modern displays can present one hell of a lot of information all at once so that you need to understand what you are looking at and what to pay attention to.

Having come from the 'steam gauges' to the screens in mid-80's I understand the problem. The solution was training and guidance of where to look and how to interpret all the data. This was well demonstrated when later I transitioned from an a/c with conventional ASI & fast/slow speed tape on PDF to a no ASI and full speed tape with all the bugs & symbols. I did not fully understand all the great data being shown on the speed tape and how to interpret it. FCom Vol 2 was not the most helpful. A long sector with a knowledgeable trainer solved the problem and opened my eyes to a whole new world.
When I had the chance I tried to spend time with students to explain the hidden delights of EFIS/EICAS. Sadly some were not too interested. They'd learnt what to do in TR with rigid SOP's and full use of automatics, but IMHO had not been taught how to monitor the automatics via the EFIS. Their scan was tunnelled and slow. The root cause of the problem lay in shallow initial training followed up by incomplete and superficial line training.
Lack of time and discretion did not allow the students the chance to do a real raw data sim session as introduction to the a/c. That could have introduced a real scan; indeed would have necessitated it. ROOT CAUSE.