PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Families of Germanwings victims sue US flight school
Old 15th Apr 2016, 08:38
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everyone s talking about this being an issue for the average AME's. IMHO it is a more complicated psychological issue. In the short time an AME examines the physical side of a pilot I wonder how likely it is they 'might' spot anything untoward about the 'between the ears' area.
In early 80's pilot airline pilot selection was via a chat with the Flt Ops guys and a check on licences etc. In mid-80's the psychiatrists had been busy empire building and the HR brigade hung onto their coat tails. The interview and selection process was now out of the hands of pilots and into the hands of the theorists. If the paperwork was all in order it became common to spend many hours filling in psycho-babble mumbo jumbo questionnaires. At BA, during a DEP selection process, there was a near riot by the classroom of candidates at the perceived idiocy of many of the questions. They seemed more trying to trick/trap you than discover anything pertinent.
If I understand LH has severe psycho analytical tests for candidates; or perhaps it is a general German system. Either way, if Lubitz was passed as suitable it doesn't say much for accuracy the system. Or am I missing something?

Having said that, in UK I know many guys who tripped up at BA's HR selection hurdle and met some who passed through. It was very difficult to fathom sometimes. The good guys failed and some muppets snuck under the radar. Scary. Not dangerous, just weird.