PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Height-Velocity (H-V) limitations
Old 15th Apr 2016, 08:04
Garry M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Megan

You have to look hard to find specific examples in the offshore world where an engine power loss during a critical phase of flight has been the primary cause of an accident in the recent past, even with older twins. It doesn't mean they haven't happened, nor does it diminish your experiences, its simply a reality.

I'm pleased you brought up the 737/A320 example as it helps make my point about reliability. For all the single engine performance those aircraft have, I can't think of an instance where any of the pilots I know flying those types, or anyone who has been a passenger on them, including me, has ever been in a situation that has required its use in an OEI situation. That's not to say they don't fail, they just fail rarely. Sadly modern airliners still spear into the ground for a whole host of other non engine related reasons. An aircraft's OEI capability gives me no comfort when the people in front run me into the berm at the end of the runway because they don't know how their airplane works (in the case of the Asiana 777 at SFO).

Don't get me wrong, I like flying machines that have plenty of OEI power, however I want regulators to be focusing their attentions on the big picture. As Geoffers rightly points out, we are operating in a regulatory system that no longer reflects our operational realities, perhaps hasn't for a long time. New aircraft have an exciting range of technologies that we can't remotely use to there full capabilities, primarily for regulatory reasons. I want regulators focused on rules that let me use those abilities to there maximum in ways that will really make a difference to safety. Getting bogged down about momentary exposure into a flight envelope that is so imprecise and inexact is a distraction.