PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2016, 04:32
Walter603

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old Comrades

Came July 1943, and an invading Armada built up in the Mediterranean. On the 9th of the month, our Squadron was sent out to support the invasion of Sicily. Becoming airborne in the dark, I was over the invasion fleet at dawn. The morning was very hot and very hazy, but on arrival at our allotted position, I was amazed to see the uncountable number of ships below me, and stretching to the horizon it seemed, to the northwards.

We patrolled for some hours, while the armada approached the Sicilian south coast. Paratroops and gliders had been sent in before dawn, and the infantry battalions with all their support were going in to land from the ships below me. It was a very exciting day. There was absolutely no aerial activity apart from our own. I saw no opposing enemy aircraft, although I was expecting that German or Italian planes would hove into view.

We continued our support for the invasion over some days, and eventually received the order to strike camp (pack up everything) and move over to the conquered island of Sicily. I haven't the faintest recollection of how the ground staff and the vast array of equipment was assembled and moved. No doubt it was by sea. We air crew flew our aircraft across the Mediterranean Sea, and we began operations against Italy, from a base we called Borizzo, or Castel Vetrano, on the western side of Sicily.

In no time at all it seemed, the whole Squadron was re-assembled at the base, which was shared by the Royal Air Force and the United States Army Air Force. They were operating with Flying Fortresses, bombing the mainland. We were nicely placed geographically, between Trapani and Marsala. Both were quite large country towns a few miles off, and we were eager to taste the joys of civilisation, after being so long in the desert.

There was an abundance of wine in this grape-producing island, and it wasn't long before we were tasting the beautiful stuff. A little wine-shop not far north of our base, on the way to Trapani, and just at the side of the road, was our first port of call. Here we slurped on the luscious, sweet wines of the area, mainly Marsala, of course, which obtained its name from the other town down in the south.

Later, we visited both of the towns, admired the architecture and the rustic quaintness of them, and tried the local cafes for food. The latter wasn't necessary, really, as we luckily found ourselves catered for by the Americans. Our eyes nearly popped when we saw the wealth of the food put out for us in our tented messes. There was real butter in 7-pound tins, peanut butter in the same quantities, jam, wonderful sausages, white, white bread, vegetables and meats galore, eggs, bacon, and a host of other good things.

We were even more amazed when we found that we received regular issues of cigarettes, pipe tobacco, chewing tobacco, toothpaste, razor blades, shaving cream, chewing gum, etc. We wondered why on earth it was necessary for the Yankee serviceman to be paid. He had everything given him, and received more pay than a British serviceman of similar rank, into the bargain!

Last edited by Walter603; 15th Apr 2016 at 04:48.