PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Families of Germanwings victims sue US flight school
Old 14th Apr 2016, 16:33
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Err, how do you see the school that trained Lubitz and then unleashed him upon aviation, overlooking his mental state, as an "innocent company?"

I am with you to some extent when it comes to our American compensation culture, along with all these predatory "no win-no fee" lawyers, but in this particular case I think that a lot more than just one hundred thousand euro compensation is called for, and if the school that trained Lubitz is the way to get money out of Lufthansa, then so be it.

There's another culture that comes into question here, the German one that puts following procedures above higher interests. It dictated that everyone who knew about Lubitz' problems, something like 40 (!) different medical professionals, all found it a good idea to keep quiet about that, so that none of them contacted Lufthansa or the LBA about having this pilot on the loose who was really unhinged, perhaps a risk to himself and others. That goes back to the school, who knew, or should have known, what they had on their hands there.

The FAA comes into this to some degree, but just for respecting the opinion of the German authorities when Lubitz did not pose such a great risk to America as such. Most of the remaining responsibility, past the fact that Lubitz did the deed, lies with Lufthansa, and that is a Lufthansa school there in Arizona that is subject to American law.

If Lufthansa had wanted a more benign environment then they should have picked some other place than the USA for their school, but I suppose that nobody foresaw passing on a candidate who had been mentally ill, and in fact still was mentally ill!

Looked at in a slightly different way, say you were a driving instructor who had some "emo" teen on your hands, one of those with the black fingernail polish and the self-harm scars, when you might guess that his strongest secret wish was to get his license and then drive his car into a crowd of people, just going by his demeanor and all. Should you respect his right to privacy, say nothing, and help him get his license as a matter of routine, and then not expect to be sued for that when mayhem ensues?