PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Deteriorating Working Conditions and Safety Implications make International News
Old 14th Apr 2016, 14:55
Algol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seniority is like Democracy - not a perfect system, but better than the alternatives.
In the examples you've (framer) quoted, the FO's in a fast growing airline I know (in SE Asia!) do not want to wait 20 years while the Company hires-in over their heads. I can see their point. Maybe they're a bit impatient, but who can blame them.
When some are called to go forward for upgrade they are called based on their 'Performance', not just in being 'incident free' etc, but (more importantly) in how slavishly compliant they've been (maybe for the last 20 years?).
Sheer blackmail. A bullies charter.
And I should also say that, having worked in numerous airlines around the world, they ALL have these things in common - nepotism, favouritism, and cliques. Seniority (purely applied) is the only protection the 'less favoured' have.
It really only works if coupled to a strong union which monitors, protects, and forces fair implementation.

Which other Professions require the 'Quantum Leap' that aviation demands for pilot upgrade?
Young engineers may have thousands of prospective employers to choose from, and experience is simply time served and experience gained. No expensive and challenging 'Command Checks' there. Or in Medicine. Or Law (unless you mean being 'called to the Bar' which is just really a personal choice and not follwed by the vast majority).
Yes, Seniority Lists are indeed peculiar to pilots, because of their peculiar career path.

As for 'walking down the road' - you think they'd ALL be required next door?
This isn't a village co-op. Walking down the road may mean going to the other side of the planet.
Such is life in aviation.
Who'd want it?

Last edited by Algol; 14th Apr 2016 at 15:10.