PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2016, 11:05
Danny42C

"A little more than a little is by much too much" (Shakespeare ?)

Could I put in a gentle bleat to all our contributors about the ideal length of a Post ? When I started, some 4½ years ago, I modelled myself on the "Greats" of the Thread (Cliff and Reg, both sadly no longer with us), and noted that their offerings were about 1,000 - 1,500 words long on average, and tried to stick around that.

Any longer, and the Post tends to overwhelm the reader with interesting points, and as any one of these has the potential to arouse a flurry of questions and comments - the "crewroom" natter which is the lifeblood of this great Thread - others, equally interesting and deserving of discussion, get lost in the crowd.

A good example, FED, is your absorbing Post #8441, from which I picked out nine "hares" to set running - none of which has caught the doggie's eye.* It was a simple case of overkill.

Note *: Except one: MPN11 kindly responded to my:
...Quote:
...As they are now finished in India...
What exactly were the Javelins supposed to do there ?..
but I cannot find his reply to me (unless his #21 [on the "Master Pilot" Thread - on which I first put my #8442 by stupid mistake, and had to take it down, and put it where it belonged -here] constitutes the reply). Anyway, sorry, MPN11, and what were the Javelins doing in India, after all. Poking our noses into a quarrel which was none of our business ? (we're rather good at that).

None of the above should be construed as a limit to the right of any contributor to Post as much, and however, as he/she damn' well likes (subject always to our Moderators). Merely a suggestion. Remember - always leave them wanting more !

Danny.