PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA staff walkout @ LHR
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2003, 21:27
OL200

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nurjio,
i wouldnt go as far as to say this wildcat action is a good thing but I'm not prepared to fully condemn it either.
If what we read here is correct and BA plan to introduce an 'as and when needed' style of working for ground staff i think the implications for the rest of us in the job are huge - someone mentioned Swissport are also considering a similar idea - you can bet the others will be eagerly watching to see the outcome.
I wont get into a debate about whether or not this was the right course of action - I can see reasons supporting both sides anyway.
It is worth remembering I think that ground staff are often the first to be 'shafted' when money is tight. Morale is low from staff often on different contracts and benefits to their flying colleagues, the flying public becomes day by day harder to deal with and these front line boys and girls are daily taking the flak for, well, you name it.... Something was going to be the last straw at some stage and it looks like said straw has arrived.
Of course I sympathise with the pax whose travel plans have been sent into oblivion but for me the bigger picture is more important. Opposing a planned change to working practice which is likely in some form or another to affect us all sooner or later and not for the better.
Just my feeling on the matter......