PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 Why do lot of pilots start chrono while starting engines?
Old 12th Apr 2016, 22:55
Lookleft

Received 198 Likes on 93 Posts
I followed the non-normal procedure (Engine fails to shut down) after cycling the engine master.
If you have a look at PRO-SUP-70 no you didn't! The procedure states that if the LP valve is closed-cross line amber then no crew action is required. Cycling the Eng master 3 times is not in the procedure!

I think cycling the engine master was a reasonable response since I had in my right seat a pilot who just came out of our training center, was on his first flight and this was the first time he ever operated the engine master in the airplane.
All you did was demonstrate what not to do when faced with a situation that Airbus has already covered in FCOM. What happens when young Bloggs comes up for his/her check ride and the Check Captain saids "What would we do if we set the eng master to off and the engine didn't shutdown?" Bloggs confident in his/her response would say,"I've seen this before, I would cycle the eng master 3 times then push the ENG Fire switch!" The Checkie would then say, "Wrong Bloggs, we would look at FCOM Sup Proc and do what Airbus tells us to do."

Bula- The ENG MASTER switch operates the LP valve. The FCOM procedure states that if the LP valve is amber cross line then no crew action is required. This means that the master switch has done its job and you are just waiting for the fuel in the lines to make its way through the engine. If the LP valve line is still green then the master has not done its job then you use the ENG FIRE pb to force the LP valve to close. According to FCOM the time delay can take up to 2min30s which can seem like an eternity when you are waiting for something to happen. It also states "Keep ground staff informed" which is a nicer way of saying don't let the idiots get near the blender.