PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AA FO Fails Breathalyzer, Arrested
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2016, 19:41
KRviator

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by core dump
Pace- So what that the Japs need/want a breathalizer on their trains. You want to start comparing yourself to a 1st year train engineer or something? And in Japan, no less? I'm sorry, I just don't see the comparison.
Having seen and worked in both industries, in Australia, the Rail Safety Act allows you to be required to submit to a Drug/Alcohol test once you leave home with the intent of performing rail safety work. In other words, if they suspect you have a problem, they can be standing at your mailbox, and if you reverse out of your driveway in work uniform, you can be compelled to provide a sample. No ifs' buts or maybes. I have never heard of anyone being tested in this manner, but the scope is there - and it also allows you to be tested at work, but before you actually sign on duty.

Having been driving trains for over 10 years now (much better pay than most pilots in Oz...), I have been tested in the middle of the Australian scrub (Merrywinebone, for those who know it), been driven straight to the testing facility after stepping off a train as part of a random test, and been tested more times than I can remember as part of the sign-on process, again, all random tests that I am fully supportive of.

I - and all but a tiny percentage of my colleagues - have no problem with, and would actively support and encourage, the testing of each Driver before signon, and the immediate sacking for anyone that fails. It is well known and an accepted part of the job that you are AOD free at work, and there is plenty of support for those that need it. The risks of a subtle impairment putting a Shunter or another Driver at risk are worth such a hard-line stance, IMHO, and while the number of people that might potentially fail is quite small, we operate with no FO to watch over our actions.

For this reason, I can't understand any transport professional, be it a train driver, ferry skipper or airline pilot that would have an issue with such testing. Unless you yourself are prepared to risk rocking up to work after a night out with the lads, what is the issue? And if you are such a person, feel free to not be the one crewing my flights...