PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas 787 recruitment for cadetship
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2016, 13:18
IsDon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donpizmeov
I can confirm EK is taking several Qlink fellas.
Well, all the more reason for Qantas mainline, and the group as a whole, to get its collective sh1t together.

Frankly I'm astounded that we haven't had new hires starting months ago. I know they had to crank up the recruiting system from scratch but FFS they've left the organisation of this recruiting nonsense wayyyyyy too late. It's not as if they haven't known for ages they are going to have to recruit. It's been the worst kept secret ever.

The A330 has been short of S/Os for quite a while, being crewed with an additional captain or F/O as they just don't have anyone else. Guys should have been training on it 12 months ago.

The longer they naval gaze and procrastinate, the more talented people will have had enough and take the bird in the hand. Move to the desert, lost forever.

It also behoves the group to get the whole transfer of pilots between entities right. They won't want to leave QLink in the lurch by poaching half the pilot body in the first year, but they wouldn't want to put too many restrictions on either, as they'll resign and go to the desert anyway. A much scarier proposal losing them altogether, rather than using their skills in mainline.

If I were running QLink right now I'd have anticipated the exodus of pilots to mainline and cranked up the sausage machine to full kilter. Have a short term excess of pilots. That way you'd have the capacity to let people go without it affecting your operation. But that would require forward thinking. Sadly lacking in our MBA graduate KPI ruled world.