PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Deteriorating Working Conditions and Safety Implications make International News
Old 12th Apr 2016, 09:51
Landflap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well said ILS. Lots missing the point and comparing unequals. The "massive price" could well be the hull loss together with innocent lives.

I recall phoning a mate of mine years ago, in the ME. He had gone from UK legacy to UK charter to UK bucket & spade but landed on his feet with overseas legacy. Terms & condition continued to deteriorate and where he once enjoyed good rest in top hotels, he was suffering from severe food poisening & was languishing in converted staff quarters . Poor guy could hardly talk but did mention that he was extremely overworked and felt extremely undervalued. The company's top dogs continued to pull out massive bonuses and enjoyed the top hotac.

I too was set against Unions but was pursuaded to join by some of the BALPA bullies but moreso by the diplomatic sweet-sell by my own colleagues. Actually, I converted and enjoyed the "group" protection for the rest of my career.

I often wonder if my mate and others I knew all over the world might have faired better with Union protection.

You can't vote with your feet & continue to put food on the table. It's a BIG worry & I fear worse to come.